Tuesday 13 November 2012

Breaking Eggs.

The mission is to kill a guy who's been supplying weapons to runners.

He was apparently once a supplier for The Proxies but then began supplying both sides.

Unfortunately he wasn't very good at keeping this a secret.

The proxies would have sent out a single person but the guy is a weapon supplier and he might have back up so they sent a small team.

We went to his warehouse where he apparently sleeps and I, being the most normal looking apparently, was sent in to check the place out.

I spotted two guys standing around trying to look inconspicuous and a third person who I recognized as the target came up to me.

Target: "What are you doing here?"

I told him I had recently arrived in this city fleeing from The Master (Obviously not calling him the master) and had been told that I could get weapons here.

I showed him the knife I had on me and asked if he had anything better.

He said he undoubtedly did and brought me to another room.

It was full of crates.

He opened some and showed me a variety of weapons.

Guns, blades and explosives.

He said I could have whatever I wanted for $50 or the whole crate for $250.

I was surprised and asked him the obvious question.

I'm a runner!

I don't have any money how am I supposed to pay for this!?

He smiled in a way that was not at all friendly.

Target: "Well I generally have the male runners carry out jobs for me to earn their weapons but for the ladies...

Target: "Other arrangements can always be made..."

I was disgusted and I told him so.

I told him I'd stick with my knife and I started to leave.

He grabbed my arm and pulled me back.

I turned and slashed at him.

I hadn't really meant to hit him just scare him into letting go.

I hadn't expected him to lean forward.

The slash hit him in the chest and cut a deep groove.

He fell back and I panicked and ran out.

One of the two men must have seen the blood on my blade.

He yelled something and fired his gun at me.

He missed just barely and  before he could fire again something was tossed into the building.

It was a small silver sphere.

It rolled to the center and then exploded.

Gas sprayed out filling the room.

I couldn't breathe.

I fell to my knees choking.

Suddenly something grabbed me around the shoulders and pulled my head up placing a mask over my face.

I tried to scream and succeeded.

It was a gas mask.

I turned and saw The Second standing behind me he then turned and walked into the gas.

I heard coughing and gunshots.

I saw the silhouettes of people moving around me.

I heard someone cry out as they died but it wasn't the second so I didn't care.

I began crawling towards where I thought the exit was.

Something suddenly hit me from behind smashing into my back.

I fell onto my stomach and my assailant flipped me over onto my back.

It was the target wearing an old fashioned gas mask.

He was holding a crowbar.

I tried to get up but he hit me in the face knocking me back down.

Fortunately the gas mask took the brunt of the attack and I remained conscious and mostly unharmed.

He got on top of me straddling my waist and raised the crowbar to hit me again.

I clutched my knife tightly and brought it up stabbing desperately.

I plunged it right into his throat.

We stayed perfectly still.

A frozen moment in time.

Then the crowbar slipped from his grasp clattering to the floor and he fell backwards.

I pushed the body off of me and crawled outside.

I pulled off the gas mask and sat back against the wall of the warehouse breathing heavily.

This was the first time I'd ever killed someone intentionally.

He was a monster but still I felt horrible.

I felt tears drip down my cheeks.

Someone walked out and I quickly looked up into Toten's twisted smile.

He laughed.

Toten: "What you crying about girl?"

Toten: "We won!"

Toten: "Celebrate!"

He reached out a blood soaked hand and I squirmed away from him.

His smile widened slightly and suddenly his knife was too my throat.

Toten: "You don't like blood?"

Toten: "You don't like killing?!"

Toten: "You're not going to survive long as a proxy girl!"

Toten: "It would be merciful to just end your pitiful life right now!"

I held my breath my body frozen in terror.

He started to press the knife against my throat and I felt pain as it began to cut in.

Suddenly he stopped and it took me a few seconds to realize why.

The tip of something was protruding from his chest.

It pulled back out and The Second tossed his body to the side.

The Second: "Diseased minds..."

The Second: "There is no place for them in The Master's ranks."

The Second: "The best thing to do is to put them down like a crazed animal."

He helped me up and hugged me.

The Second: "Are you ok?"

I shook my head and he hugged me tighter.

The Second: "Phage is finishing up as we speak so I'll bring you back to the base now."

He did so and after a few minutes I began feeling better and I wrote this.

I still feel strange about killing someone.

I don't know if I'll ever get over it or better at it...

On an unrelated note though...

I only realized it much later but after Toten died there was no sign of what The Second had used to kill him anywhere nearby or on The Second's person.

I still don't know what it was.

I'd say it was some sort of hidden blade but it wasn't a blade...

I suppose it could still just be something hidden on his person but it's bugging me now...

Anyways I need to get some sleep and hopefully I won't have nightmares tonight...

I doubt it though...

10 comments:

  1. I hate to say it but....

    I told you so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen that statement or variations on it so many times in my comment section...

      I'm really not cut out for this stuff am I?

      Delete
    2. I don't think anyone is.

      *JP

      Delete
  2. Want to hear a secret? I've never actually killed anyone by my own hand in over ten years of service. Messy, messy, messy.

    If it feel's wrong then I have to imagine you are doing it wrong. Maybe knives aren't your thing. Too... personal.

    You just helped claim an arsenal. Fill out some forms and experiment some with the new goods.

    Find your style... sort of speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I was intending to go for this life that would surely be good advice.

      I'd prefer to not use any weapons at all though.

      I'm going to hold to the idea that it won't be necessary for me to kill again.

      I do have to say though I find it surprising that you've never killed anyone before.

      I mean I guess it makes sense now since you seem to be more of a proxy handler than someone who actually does stuff himself but you never killed anyone even when you were starting out?

      Delete
    2. My duties have always been different. Even how I came to be a proxy was somewhat unique, although you would give me a run for my money in that respect.

      I do regret never learning how to fight when I was young though. Just seems more and more foreign the older I get.

      Maybe learn to use a tazer of some sort or some hand to hand? They're somewhat less likely to end in their death with a handful of other dangerous trade offs.

      In this business you either need to learn how to run or fight.

      Given your shit track record running, you might as well go down swinging.

      Delete
  3. Don't think about it, push out the guilt, in reality the fucker deserved it.

    Onto more pressing matters, it's not that fucker's death your supposed to be concerned with, it's the supplies that your "colleagues" might have gotten out of this mission, the gain is just too large.

    Such weapons in the hands of such fools is a danger. That fact does not help anyone, as a matter of fact, it can very well kill someone who does not deserve it.

    - Mr. Incognito.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's not really much I can do on that front.

      As long as I'm stuck here and forced to pretend to be a proxy I am essentially on their side.

      I can't work against them.

      The Second can only protect me so much...

      Then again he did kill every single proxy at the last building...

      Still I don't want that happening again anyways.

      So looks like sorry but the runners are going to have to deal with this on their own.

      I'd say where I am or at least where the warehouse was but I don't think that bodes well for my safety.

      Delete
  4. Listen.. You killed out of self defense. Yea you did it intentionally, but your not exactly doing all of this by your own choice, now are you?

    You're playing along.. think of all of this as a play, and you're just following stage directions.

    -Tommy

    ReplyDelete